The Civil Services examination is one of the most prestigious examinations in India. It is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
Throughout the country, these services have been the most sought after careers by youngsters.
Despite, the popularity of Software and IT careers, it has not lost its value. In terms of structure,
it's one the toughest competitive exams in the country with a success rate of just 0.1 per cent. MOre and more professional degree holders are opting for jobs among ths list of Civil Services.
This includes the new found popular course of Law graduation.
The Civil Service forms the backbone of the Indian government structure.
It is the primary service, which heads all the major departments which run the state and central administration.
The three types of services recruited through the Civil Services Examination are All India Services, Central Services, and State Services.
The salaries too differ as per the post and category of the Services.
Here is the complete list of the civil services jobs for which combined examinations are held.
The UPSC rank allotment decides which service you will get. Students are asked to list the services as per their preferences.
The higher your rank the more you get a post of your choice. UPSC ranks and services almost go hand in hand.
The upsc rank structure has been followed all along and your position in that upsc rank list gets you into these services.
You do get to write the exam again but once again upsc rank wise post for that year is alloted.
Types of Civil Services Jobs
There are three types or categories of jobs through the civil servcie exam (CSE).
Under these 3 broad categories are a gamut of services that are pretigious and sought after.
The civil service rank list comes out with the results of teh exams but sometime due to preferences some toppers
may choose services that are not at the top of the list like the IAS or IPS.
- All India Civil Services
- Group A Services or Central Services
- Group B Services or State Services
All India Civil Services Jobs List
- Indian Administrative Service or IAS
- Indian Foreign Service or IFS
- Indian Police Service or IPS
List of Group A Services by UPSC
- Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise)
- Indian Defence Accounts Service
- Indian Revenue Service (I.T.) or IRS
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service (Assistant Works Manager, Administration)
- Indian Postal Service
- Indian Civil Accounts Service
- Indian Railway Traffic Service
- Indian Railway Accounts Service
- Indian Railway Personnel Service
- Indian Railway Protection Force (Assistant Security Commissioner)
- Indian Defence Estates Service
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade)
- Indian Trade Service, Group 'A' (Gr. III)
- Indian Corporate Law Service
List of Group - B Services
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service (Section Officer's Grade)
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service
- Pondicherry Civil Service
- Pondicherry Police Service
Other UPSC services exams held for Various Jobs & Posts
The UPSC also holds various exams for other services some of which are
- Engineering Services Examination
- Geologists Examination
- Special Class Railway Apprentices Exam
- National Defence & Naval Academy
- Combined Defence Services Examination
- Combined Medical Services Examination
- Indian Economic / Statistical Service
- S.O./Stenographer Limited Departmental Competitive Exam
- Central Police Forces (Assist Commandants)