Two new robotic missions to Venus
- Recently, the NASA announced two new robotic missions to Venus. Earlier, scientists obtained new data about Venus by bouncing radio waves off the planet.
- The two sister missions aim to understand how Venus became an inferno-like world capable of melting lead at the surface.
- The new missions will give fresh views of the planet’s atmosphere, made up mostly of carbon dioxide, down to the core.
- Indian Initiative: India plans to launch a new orbiter named Shukrayaan to Venus in 2024.
- US:Mariner series 1962-1974, Pioneer Venus 1 and Pioneer Venus 2 in 1978, Magellan in 1989.
- Russia:Venera series of space craft’s 1967-1983, Vegas 1 and 2 in 1985.
- Japan:Akatsuki in 2015.
- Europe:Venus Express in 2005.