Topic in News: Aadi Mahotsav (national tribal festival)
About the News:
Shri Arjun Munda (Minister of Tribal Affairs) E-Inaugurates, the First Ever Virtual Aadi Mahotsav – Madhya Pradesh.
It will showcase the Rich and Diverse Culture, Crafts of Madhya Pradesh on Tribes India Website
About Aadi Mahotsav:
It is a national tribal festival and a joint initiative of Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India & Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED).
The festival showcases traditional art and handicrafts and cultural heritage of the country
The festival was an attempt to familiarise the people with the rich and diverse craft, culture of the tribal communities across the country, in one place.
About Virtual Aadi Mahotsav 2020:
virtual Aadi Mahotsav will help in popularising tribal culture to national and international audiences.
The event will showcase the tribal traditions of the various tribal communities – by having their crafts and natural produce on display.
Videos showcasing different aspects of their culture – music, dance etc, will also be shared. In essence, it will still be a celebration of the tribes and their diverse, varied lifestyle but on a different platform.
TRIFED initiatives, Tribes India e-market place is a noteworthy initiative that showcases the produce and handicrafts of tribal enterprises from across the country and helps them market their produce/ products directly. It is a major leap towards the digitisation of tribal commerce and also provides livelihood to them.
Tribes India E-Marketplace is India’s largest handicraft and organic products marketplace which is an initiative of the TRIFED
Objective: ‘to showcase tribal produce and handicrafts and It connects tribal forest dwellers and artisans with national and international markets and will further enable their economic welfare and also bring them closer towards mainstream development.
With the onboarding of more than 3500 tribal artisans on to the Tribes India Marketplace, this virtual event offers the tribals, a new avenue for popularising their culture and arts and will go a long way in helping the economic situation of these tribal artisans and make them self-reliant.
Therefore, Aadi Mahotsav helps in bringing the tribal culture, life, traditions, crafts etc to the mainstream, while retaining their unique flavour. The initiative such as The Tribes India e-marketplace sources various handicraft, handloom, natural food products across the country and brings the best of tribal produce/ products
- It was established in August 1987 under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984 by the Government of India as a National level Cooperative body.
- It is under the aegis of Ministry of Tribal Affairs
- TRIFED is mandated to bring about socio-economic development of tribals of the country by institutionalising the
- trade of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) &
- Surplus Agricultural Produce (SAP) collected/ cultivated by them.
- TRIFED plays the dual role of both a market developer and a service provider
- TRIFED is involved actively in capacity building of the tribal people through sensitisation and the formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs). It is also engaged in training the tribals in several activities, so that they can effectively carry them out.
Initiatives for Tribal well beings:
- Tech for Tribal, an initiative of TRIFED supported by Ministry of MSME, aims at capacity building and imparting entrepreneurship skills to tribal forest produce gatherers enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri VanDhan Yojana (PMVDY).
Under this scheme, the Van Dhan Vikas Kendras constituted, provide skill up-gradation and capacity building training and setting up of primary processing and value addition facilities.
- Pradhan Mantri VanDhan Yojana(PMVDY) : The scheme aims at the economic development of tribals involved in the collection of Minor Food Produces (MFPs) by helping them in optimum utilization of natural resources and providing them with a sustainable livelihood.
TRIFED also establishes “Van Dhan Vikas Kendra (VDVK)” for Tribal Forest Produce gatherers.
Who announces MSP for the MFP?
- Minimum Support Price (MSP) for MFP:
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs announces addition of MFP and their MSP under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme titled "Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through Minimum Support Price (MSP) and development of value chain of MFP".