Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World Rankings 2022
- QS World University Rankings were announced recently.
- It is an annual publication of university rankings by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS)- A british company specialising in the analysis of higher education institutions around the world.
- Previously, it was called Times Higher Education – QS world University rankings. The name changed since 2010.
- It is the only international ranking to have received the approval of International Ranking Expert Group (IREG).
- It rates the world’s top 1000 universities.
- These rankings offer independent data on the performance of 253 programmes at 52 Indian higher education institutions, across 51 academic disciplines.
How are universities ranked?
To rank institutions, QS uses six indicators:
- Academic reputation.
- Employer reputation.
- Faculty/student ratio.
- Citations per faculty.
- International faculty ratio.
- International student ratio.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) of the US is the top university for the 10th consecutive year.
- The University of Oxford (UK) has risen to second rank for the first time since 2006, while Stanford University (US) and the University of Cambridge (UK) share third spot.
- Singapore’s National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University, and China’s Tsinghua University and Peking University, are the only Asian universities in the global top 20.
- Overall, there are 22 Indian institutions in the top 1,000 list compared to 21 in the 2021 Rankings, with the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) in Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur and Madras making major strides in rankings.
- Jawaharlal Nehru University has entered the top 1,000 of the rankings for the first time, as its new undergraduate engineering programme now makes it eligible for the rating.
- IIT Bombay maintained its position as the top Indian institution for the fourth consecutive year, although it fell five places in the global rankings to the joint 177th position.
- IIT Delhi (185 rank) overtook the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (186 rank), giving India three institutions in the world’s top 200.The Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru, has been ranked the “world’s top research university”.
- It shows that India’s tally in the top 200 universities has not changed for the fifth straight year.