Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana - Urban
- The Government approved 708 proposals for construction of 3.61 lakh houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana - Urban (PMAY-U) in 2021.
- Launched in 2015, PMAY-U is a flagship Mission of Government of India being implemented by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- It ensures a pucca house to all eligible urban households by 2022.
- All statutory towns as per Census 2011 and towns notified subsequently would be eligible for coverage under the Mission.
- PMAY-U addresses urban housing shortage among the Economically Weaker Section (EWS), Low Income Group (LIG) and Middle Income Group (MIG) categories including the slum dwellers.
- It has made a mandatory provision for the female head of the family to be the owner or co-owner of the house under this Mission.
- It aids the implementing agencies through States/UTs and Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) for providing houses to all eligible families/ beneficiaries against demand for houses for about 1.12 crore.
- In-situ Rehabilitation of existing slum dwellers using land as a resource through private participation
- Credit Linked Subsidy
- Affordable Housing in Partnership
- Subsidy for Beneficiary-led individual house construction/ enhancement
- Area - As per PMAY (U) guidelines, the size of a house for EWS could be up to 30 sq. mt. carpet area.
- However, States/UTs have the flexibility to enhance the size of houses in consultation and approval of the Ministry.