Kalaignar Urban Development Scheme
GS 2: Government Policies and Interventions
- The Tamil Nadu government would implement the Kalaignar Urban Development Scheme at a cost of Rs. 1,000 crores.
- Under this scheme, Infrastructure including a community hall, markets, modern libraries will be created in municipalities and town panchayats
- The urban employment scheme will be on the lines of the MGNREGS, to improve the livelihood of the urban poor.
Objectives and Need:
- Growing urbanisation: The urban population in Tamil Nadu was growing fast and it would reach 60% of the total population by 2036.
- A total of four crore people are now living in urban areas, accounting for 53% of the total population.
- Impact of COVID-19 pandemic: It aims to provide employment to the urban poor, who had lost their jobs because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Thousands of jobs were lost and the government discussed ways to create jobs for them.
- Under the scheme, workers will be used for activities such as desilting of water bodies and maintenance of public parks and other places.